I know I haven´t posted in a while. It´s because I´m very lazy.
Ok, so i left off my last post by telling you that I was going to go to Bolivia then travel to Araçatuba for a week of portuguese lessons and getting to know the other exchange students in the Rotary District. Well, i wasn't feeling well Friday so i didn't go to Bolivia, but at 11 o´clock i went to the bus station where i got on a bus and left for Campo Grande. An interesting fact about the bus ride to Campo Grande is that all buses from Corumbá are checked for drugs being smuggled from Bolivia. I´m not quite sure how they check the bags because I was on the bus but I do know that two officers came onto the bus and questioned a random person. After that the bus went on its way. I fell asleep as it was very late. We arrived in Campo Grande at 6 something in the morning where I was met by a Rotarian named Daniel. He gave me my ticket for the next bus and took me to his house where I ate breakfast and took a nap. At ten o´clock Daniel took me back to the bus station where I got on the bus with three other exchange students: Elisa from Germany, Maja from Poland, and Theo from France. So we took the more than 8 hour bus ride to Araçatuba with a really quiet and awkward lunch in the middle where the four of us just sat around a table drinking our water. Eventually we got to Araçatuba. There i was met by the family with whom I would be spending the week. Their names are (I´m really sorry if I don´t spell them right) Rose, Salvio, their son Gui, and their daughter Ana. That night they took me out for pizza where I determined that melted cheddar should not go on pizza. (Just wanted to mention that).
The next day was Sunday and all 30 of the exchange students met at the District Chairman's farm for swimming and information.
Monday through Friday we had Portuguese lessons. They were mainly focused on how to pronounce things, the words they thought we would need to know, and stuff like that. The most useful thing, in my opinion, was that they gave us a packet on how to conjugate verbs.
After portuguese lessons every day we had Capoeira classes. If you don't know what it is, Capoeira is a fight dance thingy. Look it up on google or something for more info because I'm don't want to explain it right now. Well anyway, that was a lot of fun even though I was really bad at it. It was very awesome to see those who practice Capoeira regularly (I mean the Brazilians because none of us exchange students had ever done it before) fight. Unfortunately I kept forgetting to bring my camera so I don't have any pictures of that.
On Wednesday night, all the exchange students met in the park/square thingy for Brazilian night. There, we listened to Brazilian music and for dancing. I didn't dance because I can't! It was a lot of fun though.
Saturday was the end of the week goodbye party at the yacht club. There we played some volleyball, went swimming and did other fun stuff. It was a ton of fun and I really miss all of the other exchange students.
Sunday and Monday I slept in and didn't do a lot!!! =D
Tuesday was the day I left. Sergio and Miriam came and picked me up on their way back from Sao Paulo where they were saying goodbye and sending their daughter to France. We drove to Campo Grande, spent the night there, and then on Wednesday we drove back to Corumba.
I really miss being in Araçatuba. I liked all the other exchange students. I really liked the family who I stayed with because they were awesome, and nice, and they had a Wii, and they spoiled me and they were really fun and awesome. They said they might would invite me back later in the year when I spoke Portuguese better and I really hope I can go.
So that was my week in Araçatuba. It was great and a lot of fun.
Oh, by the way, I really like it when people comment on my posts so if you have anything to say, please do, I love to read them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Hmm - I want to see a photo of you doing the dancey fighting thingy. :) That made me laugh. Send me your photo - I'll photo shop you in the speedracer helmet. :) How could I have forgotten to take a picture of your Dad - I should have made him wear it while he ate his Dare to be Great.
Hi Bryan!!
Your post was so fun to read. First of all, we are relieved that you made it through the drug check (just kiddin'!) We are also impressed with your ability to actually get some sleep on a bus. Your description of sitting in silence with the German, French and Polish students reminded me of when I was a kid living in France. Found that music, movie stars and peanut butter made good conversation (using a lot of sign language). Peanut butter is something good to have on you. It is American, and a substance that most outside of the U.S. have not eaten, do not understand how we can eat it (especially with jelly - yuck!). So, it's kind of like playing Fear Factor. Our French friend decided it only tasted good on "jambon" (ham). So, see if you can come up with a small jar of peanut butter in case you run into lulls in the conversation. We can also see why you will need to bone up on your Portuguese so that you can learn all of your other subjects (besides English!!). This reminded me of the school I went to in France where all subjects were taught in French, with the exception of American History and English, which I took with other American students. I had a tutor to help me, since we moved in mid-year and I was behind (Mme. Luce was her name). She loved the sound of her voice (especially rolling those French "r's") so we spent a lot of time using the tape recorder. It did help, and one day I found myself understanding most of what was being said, and this was before the school year was over. So, immersion does work! Tell us about the best traditional meal you've had so far. Do the kids dress the same as in the U.S.? Do they listen to Brazilian music or a combination of Brazilian, American and other nationalities? What are the most common questions people ask you? Any one you want us to say "hi" to?
Very sorry about your grandfather. Sam and Matt's grandfather (my dad) just passed away on 8/18, so we know how your family feels right now. It is such a good thing that you are living with such a kind family, and that we have email to communicate. I had to write friends on that very thin airmail stationary, and phone calls were so expensive that we weren't able to call our friends.
Have a great rest of your week! Anything special planned for the weekend? Sam and Matt are starting to get mopey about starting school. I think we're going to take them to the beach on Saturday. The weather is starting to feel like Fall. Enjoy your 70's, and hope you can find some after school Capoeira classes - I think it would be a big hit back here in Avon!!
Sincerely,
Lori, Joe, Sam, and Matt
Hey Bryan,
Sounds like you're getting into the Brazilian rhythm...with Capoeira, too! I actually have done a little of it (or rather, the version taught by one of the aerobic tape instructors that I like!).
Keep bloggin' -- I'm enjoying reading them.
You mom and I did our summer trips abroad (her's to Spain, mine to S. & Central America - Venezuela, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador). I think she was better prepared than I was because she'd been taking Spanish classes, whereas I took French!
Imagine, listening to all that Spanish, translating what I could understand into English, then trying to respond in French -- oops! By the end of the day I was really ready for bed, so I understand you taking 2 days to catch up....
I'm really glad you're in Brazil, maybe Mark and I can save our pennies and come down when the rest of your family does next Spring. Let's hope!
Hugs and love,
Aunt Tori
Bryan--Stop sleeping- you can do that when you get home! Will bw at your house in Avon this weekend for the Labor Day festival-sort of like the Brizilian thing w/o the crazy dancing.
Pickels away!!
Sounds like you're having a great adventure, Bryan. Even worth missing Cedar Point for! I think you should learn Capoeira and teach us all when you return.
Uncle Mark
Hi Brian
Quando voce falar melhor o português te convidarei de novo para passar uma semana de novo em minha casa.!
Sávio, Rose, Guilherme e Ana Laura de Araçatuba - SP
Hey Bryan Vortherms!!!!
OMG I'm so glad you posted this blog thingy :) Everybody in french was like, "what the heck is bryan doing? did he, like die?" But now I can tell madame you're learning brazilian-self-defense-dance-fighting! :)
But yeah, like I said on facebook, french is so boring this year w/out Bryan Vortherms. We're talking about ROCKS this year. "les gens de la cavernes a erige les rochers levees" Yeah. Like, the french stonehenge, which is actually cool but boring as heck during a double.
Sounds like YOU'RE having fun. Dude, you should totally be taking pictures...at least with a cell phone? Well, whatevs. TTYL. Have fun. Learn Portuguese. I heard somewhere that "bom dia" means hello...but I think its like really old Brazilian? Haha sorry I'll stop buggin you. Have fun...-anni
Post a Comment