Thursday, August 14, 2008

My First Week

It's been a week or so (but it feels like it's been weeks and weeks since I came here) since I last wrote an entry here, and I won't have access to my computer for a week so I better write a post now. I'll start with last Sunday. A lot happened, kinda. On Sundays, the ENTIRE family eats together. The family whom I'm staying with and I went to eat at their Uncle/Grandmother/whoever else lived there's appartment building (I don't know what to call it but a lot of them lived there) to eat lunch. There were a lot of people. And for dinner we went to another uncle's house for some BBQ. There I learned just how bad I am at ping-pong. It was very fun.
Monday I didnt really do anything.
Tuesday I started school (this answers one of your questions, Lori!). School starts at 7AM and ends at 12:30 with a break in the middle. It's really different from Avon because we just stay in the same classrooms and the teachers come to us, and they don't mind as much about us talking in class. Again, I really didn't do anything because I didnt understand what any of the teachers were saying. They gave me a text/workbook that has all of the subjects in it. What I'm supposed to be learning is: Math, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Portuguese (basically grammar), Literature, English, History, the Arts and Geography(but there's only 4 to 6 subjects a day that we cover). Really I sit there doodling on a piece of paper, except in English where I help the teacher a little.
Wednesday was nothing again.
Thursday (meaning today) was the worst day yet. The school made me go to mass! It was long and boring, especially cuz I didnt understand a word. What was bad later (meaning with no relation to school whatsoever) was the Rotary meeting which was uninteresting and long.
Tomorrow I'm going to Bolivia w/ Phillipe (host brother) and tomorrow night I'm taking a bus to Campo Grande which will get there Saturday morning. There I'm meeting up w/ other exchange students to go to Aracatuba for a week of language classes.
Well that was my week. Oh, and answering Lori's other question: it's very warm here, at least 70ish (I think. I haven't seen a thermometer here) and it's still winter here! I hate to imagine how hot it's gonna get!
Bye, Bye

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brian,
It all sounds so exciting, I admire your courage to be off on this "adventure".
I'm just back from camp,
Robert did a great job as a counselor at SLCC, but we still missed you.
Glad to have the blog to track you, good luck with the language class.
Mr V

Unknown said...

Hey Pickels,
The first week or so is always the toughest. Hang in there and make the most out of this adventure. In a short time the days will be flying by and when its over you'l wonder how it went by so quick. Remember-- Beat the Beets!!!!!
TomF