Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I Finally Update the Blog!!!

For a while now I've been meaning to write this new post for the blog and people have been asking me to write it. Well, I'm not too tired right now so here I go, writing another entry.

I left off last time with me getting back from Araçatuba. So now I'm in Corumba where I have to get up at 6 in the morning to go to school every weekday. The day after I got back I went to school where I took my first test in Portuguese. The test was a math test so you would think that it would be easy and with out a lot to translate. Well you'd be half right. The math itself was easy after I translated the evil word problems the teacher put on the test. The good news: it was multiple choice. I ended up getting a 6 out of 10 on the test (I think it was because I didn't show all my work because other people had the same answer w/ it marked correct). I, being the (I'm going to try and be at least a little modest here) kind of student who doesn't usually get below 85% on a test, wasn't happy with my grade until I saw that the other people around me had mostly gotten 4. I also had to take a Portuguese grammar test and, because I don't know Portuguese, I just circled random answers because it was multiple choice. I got a 4 on that est which is actually better than what some of the other people in the class got.

Onto a completely unconnected topic.....
Last Wednesday, like we do every Wednesday, we went out to eat. The reason I'm telling you this is that I got a great piece of news from my host mom's brother. That piece of news is that I can watch American Football on ESPN International!!!! I was very excited until Sunday night when I learned that a certain star player for the New England Patriots had gotten hurt and would be out for the entire season. This made me not feel as bad missing the season. But the good news is that I'll be able to watch football!!!!

Well that's it for now. I'm going to updake the blog sometime this weekend, I promise.

Until then, keep commenting!! The more you comment and ask questions, the more entries I'll write on this blog. I also like hearing about what you are doing so, if you feel like it, tell me how you are.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So you get up at 6 for school. What time does school finish? Do you have extracurricular activities? What else do you do regularly?

- Uncle Mark

Anonymous said...

In your last post you said you met at the District Chairman's farm for swimming, does he have a pool or did you swim in a pond or what?

Heidi wants to know how to say "hi mom" in Portuguese.

Aunt Pam

Sam said...

Hey!
I finally got around to reading your blog as i procrastinate doing my reading (graduate students love to procrastinate reading too). I just wanted to say I hope you're having a great time. I know it is really hard to be away for so long, especially in a place you don't understand the language and don't have close friends all around you. I also know how great it is to get notes and comments so I'll try to comment as much as I can :-)
I'd love to hear about your host family. In all the times I've been abroad, I've lived in dormitories or my own apartment. How well do they speak English? How do they treat you (eg. do you have like regular chores around the house? do they involve you in daily activities?)?
Also, what is your mailing address?
I hope you are doing well!
Cousin Sam (to stick with the relative-specific titles)